Weeks Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center shares tips on how to live a heart healthy life for American Heart Month
Lancaster, NH – Heart health is one of the most important factors that can affect wound healing. Chronic wounds affect approximately 6.7 million people in the United States, and these wounds cost more than $50 billion annually. If left untreated, chronic wounds can lead to a diminished quality of life and possible amputation of the affected limb.
“Coronary artery disease, peripheral arterial disease and other issues with the heart and vessels can hinder blood flow, oxygen and nutrition to a wound,” explains D. Scott Covington, MD, FACS, chief medical officer for Healogics. “February is American Heart Month and an opportunity for patients to understand how their heart can affect their wound healing.”
The Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Weeks Medical Center, a member of the Healogics network, offers the following tips to live a heart healthy life.
- Live an active lifestyle with 30 minutes of exercise on most days.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco of any kind as it is one of the most significant risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Eat a diet that is heart-healthy. This includes lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and other low-fat sources of protein.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. All of these chronic conditions can lead to heart disease.
- Ensure you get quality sleep by making it a priority in your life. Most adults need seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
- Manage your stress in a healthy way with positive self-talk, using stress stoppers, doing things you enjoy, and relaxing on a regular basis.
- See your healthcare provider for regular screenings. This includes blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes screenings.
For more information about how your heart health can affect wound healing, contact the Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Weeks Medical Center, 173 Middle Street, Lancaster, NH or call 603-788-5625.
About the Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Weeks Medical
The Wound Healing Center at Weeks Medical is a comprehensive treatment center providing state of the art care for chronic wounds. It is the only comprehensive wound treatment center in the North Country. The wound center provides clinically proven advanced treatment options. These include, but are not limited to, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, bio-engineered tissue substitutes; negative pressure wound therapy, growth factor therapies, advanced dressings and wraps, and debridement. Our clinicians are trained by nationally recognized wound care experts. This training supplemented with continuing education related to the latest advancements in wound care allows them to stay at the forefront of wound healing solutions.
Headquartered in Jacksonville, Fla., Healogics is the nation’s largest provider of advanced wound care services. Healogics and its affiliated companies manage nearly 800 Wound Care Centers® in the nation and saw nearly 300,000 patients in 2014 through a connected network of partner hospitals and Wound Care Centers, academic medical centers, and other post‐acute sites. Healogics utilizes an evidence‐based systematic approach to chronic wound healing to treat an underserved and growing patient population. A fund managed by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, a private investment firm, is the majority shareholder of Healogics. For more information, please visit www.healogics.com.